In Devon my grandparents had a warmer, sunnier climate so they could grow aubergines too - which at that time was quite exotic as we were just on the verge of globalising our food tastes as a country. Aubergines were added to their ratatouille, when they weren't being used for aubergine fritters.
Hunger is the mother of food invention. This dish was cooked up in less than 5 minutes, and is a take on our old Courgette, cheese, onion and tomato with a few extra Mediterranean additions.
What I added:
- Courgette sauteed (leave them without stirring to colour - that is where the flavour is)
- Cooked frozen red onion
- Parma ham
- Tomatoes (fresh, tomato sauce, or left over cooked tomatoes from breakfast)
- Sun dried tomatoes (if they come with capers in the oil for flavour add those too)
- Cooked macaroni (Cook day before or in the morning and refresh under cold water before leaving in fridge to save time)
- Water (to make a little steam to heat the macaroni. By the time it has all reduced the pasta is hot)
- Grated cheese
- Fresh herbs - depending on what you have - chives, basil
What you can add:
Anything you like.